Summer Reading List Recommendations

What’s on your summer reading list? Here at Glass House, we like to spend the long days being transported to a faraway time and place. I mean, anything to take us away from the responsibilities of the real world, right?!

Not only do our authors write, they love to READ as well! We asked them to share with us what they’ve got on their summer reading list this year, and why it should be on yours, and we’ll be featuring recommendations from all of our authors over the next few weeks for your summer reading (and perhaps even stretching into fall…).

So kick back, grab a cold drink and a good book, and enjoy the recommendations from our first three authors!


Nikki Vogel

To begin my summer reading, I blazed through Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. She writes for a similar audience as me, and I not only enjoyed the story, but also liked paying attention to how she handled certain things. As a learning opportunity and stuff.

I also recently read Leigh Bardugo's Grisha series. This chick can WRITE. I love her stories and am filled with envy when I read her books.

I read Borne by Jeff VanderMeer because I totally loved his Annihilation series. Borne was entertaining, though I didn’t love it as much as the Annihilation series.

This Savage Song book coverComing up … well, I have a list of steampunk books I’m going to read because it’s a genre I’m not that familiar with, and my WIP is going to have elements of steampunk in it. The list includes Ticker by Lisa Matechev, Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittridge, and Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve.

I also have a couple of research books on my list: Early Irish Myths and Sagas by Jeffry Gantz and Celtic Myths and Legends by Peter Berresford Ellis.

I also have the second book of V.E. Schwab’s Monsters of Verity series to read, as well as 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster and Caraval by Stephanie Garber.

That should keep me busy for awhile. :)

PT McHugh

Bernard Cornwell (my favorite historical fiction writer) has written yet another novel regarding his second-best character, Lord Uhtred, my favorite Dane who wreaked havoc over a thousand years ago (Netflix has done a great job adapting his books into the series Kingdom, which I highly recommend). And of course you can never go wrong with Lee Child's novels when you’re hitting the beach.

George Ebey

Broadcast Hysteria by A. Brad Schwartz (non-fic), Perchance to Dream by Charles Beaumont (classic sci fi/horror short story collection), and then I need to get going on Freedom of the Mask by Robert McCammon (historical fiction). Because who can go wrong combining history and fiction?


That’s it for the moment! What’s on your summer reading list? Are there books you think we’d love? Books we ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO READ? Send us recommendations on Twitter or FB, and we’ll let you know the moment we get around to them!

Love,

The Glass House Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment